The answer to the question is a big no. The Arlo device will work just fine without a base station. You can use a router to connect your camera directly to the 2.4 GHz WiFi network. In order to switch your Arlo camera from the base station connection to a direct-to-WiFi connection, it is important that you remove the camera from the account and re-onboard it.
Are you keen on learning how the procedure can be executed? Go about the instructions mentioned in this blog post and get an understanding of the same.
How to Pair Arlo Camera to 2.4GHz WiFi Device?
i. Launch the Arlo Application
Open the Arlo app on your mobile device. In case you uninstalled the Arlo application, install it by accessing the store of your device. The step-by-step guidelines give below will shed light on how to download the application in a hassle-free manner:
- Go to the Play Store in case you are using an Android.
- In case you have an iOS, then access the App Store.
- Enter Arlo app in the search bar.
- A list with some results will come into view.
- Select the Arlo app from the results and tap the Install button.
- Wait for some time.
It is suggested that you do not interrupt the process by turning off the WiFi connection or performing background activities on your mobile device. Otherwise, despite getting the answer to the “Does Arlo Essential need a base station?” question, you will feel stuck.
ii. Select Settings > My Devices
Once the application gets downloaded on your mobile device, launch it. Now you will be promoted to go about the login process. The same can be done if you use the Arlo login credentials. Once you log in, follow the steps that have been given below:
- Tap the Settings menu.
- Once done, click the My Devices button.
- You will be asked to select your Arlo camera.
- Do so and alternatively, tap the Settings icon for your Arlo camera.
- Scroll down, right to the end of the Device Settings screen.
- Tap the Remove Device button.
Your device is now reset and has been removed from your account. For your information, if you need to manually reset your Arlo camera, read the steps given in the user manual. In case you feel that those steps are hard-to-understand, read the ones given below.
- Find the sync button on the camera.
- Once you locate it, press as well as hold it for more than fifteen seconds.
- Soon the LED light will blink amber in color.
- Now, let go of the button and ensure that camera blinks amber three times.
- Once done, re-add your Arlo camera to the Arlo application.
- Get access to the release pin that you found with the doorbell.
- Press and then hold the reset button.
- You will find it at the back of the Arlo doorbell.
- You now need to hold on for some time.
- The LED ring on the doorbell will soon flash white in color.
iii. Implement On-Screen Steps
The last step is to go to log in again in to the account using the login credentials. Once done, tap the Add New Device option. You will find this option on the Devices screen. Select the camera that you own at the moment and go through these guidelines:
- The Arlo will detect the base station.
- When it does, tap the Connect without a Base Station option.
- You can also select the Connect without SmartHub.
- Both options mean one of the same things.
- Go through the instructions mentioned on-screen.
- Soon your camera or doorbell will directly connect to the 2.4GHz WiFi network.
And you are done. In this manner, you will be able to connect your Arlo camera or doorbell, whatever you using at as of now directly to the 2.4 GHz WiFi network of the router without the use of the base station or SmartHub in a happy-go-lucky way.
After going through the information presented above, have you gotten the answer to the “Does Arlo Essential need a base station?” question? Yes? Good. Now that you have learned how to connect your Arlo device directly to the WiFi network, it is recommended that you give it a personalized touch by changing its settings.
To learn about which all settings you can change on your camera, take our advice and go through the details in the product or user manual.